Have you ever asked your grandparents if they ever experience a lot of sickness or allergies during their time? Guess they would only say that a cough and flu are the only viruses that deal with during their time and could be easily cured by tea and rest, not to mention their healthy lifestyle. An allergy doctor can determine the kind of allergy that you are experiencing and can provide you with the right medication to prevent your attacks until you’re completely cured of it.
But what if you were told that your symptoms are relative to alcohol allergy? Seriously? Is there such as thing as Alcohol Allergy? YES.
Introducing: ALCOHOL ALLERGY
Obviously, it’s a rare condition, but the reaction can really be serious. If you have heard of alcohol intolerance, it’s basically alcohol allergy – well, it’s what most people believed. Others may not be directly allergic to alcohol, but to some of its ingredients such as:
If you’ve been diagnosed with having alcohol allergy, you should start avoiding drinking any alcoholic beverages – ever.
Alcohol Allergy Symptoms
If you are certified of having an allergic reaction to alcohol, even the littlest amount or sip can already trigger the symptoms.
What are they?
- Irritation and itchiness of the nose, eyes, and mouth area.
- Itchiness, eczema or hives on your skin.
- Inflammation of the throat, face, or other areas of the body.
- Difficulty in breathing, nasal congestion, or wheezing.
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, or abdominal pain.
- Light-headedness, loss of consciousness, or dizziness.
Symptoms of this allergy and other allergic conditions should never be taken for granted because if left unattended or ignored, it can be fatal in the long run.
Anyone can develop an allergic reaction to alcohol at any point in time. In the event that you experience any intolerance or pain after drinking alcohol immediately consult your doctor.
What can cause an alcohol allergy?
Having an allergy means that your immune system is overreacting to a certain allergen. In this case with alcohol allergy, it means that your immune system sees alcohol as a threat to your body. You see, the bona fide alcohol allergy is truly rare. It’s the alcohol intolerance that is the most common one.
How Do You Treat An Alcohol Allergy?
Just like other allergies, the treatment is similar. Alcohol allergy manifests the moment that a person experience symptoms of alcohol intolerance. It is a genetic condition where the body finds it difficult to break down alcohol components.
Here are the most common remedies for alcohol allergies.
- In tolerable cases of alcohol intolerance, your allergy doctor may prescribe you to take an over-the-counter antihistamine that can reduce the active signs generated by the allergens contained in alcohol. The antihistamine can also supply relief from hives or itching, and other possible symptoms of this allergy.
- If the alcohol intolerance condition is deemed to be moderate to severe case, an allergist will recommend you to take epinephrine. It is a syringe called an autoinjector that looks like a pen and is administered as a form of an adrenaline shot. People dealing with alcohol allergy are advised to bring this autoinjector at all times just in case they drink alcohol and starts to experience some reactions.
- There are some people who have asthma are also dealing with alcohol intolerance or alcohol allergy – this is when they struggle with breathing after an alcohol intake. An inhaler is prescribed to asthma patients just in case they have never used one yet. They should always bring an inhaler with them to save and protect themselves at all times.
- The safest way to avoid alcohol intolerance or alcohol allergy is to abstain from drinking any forms of alcoholic drinks. This is what allergy doctors advise as to the best remedy to patients dealing with alcohol intolerance or alcohol allergy. Remember that allergy symptoms vary and patients sometimes find it hard to acquire treatments.
It’s just baffling how allergy classifications keep on adding up, although rare, alcohol has been part of other people’s lifestyle. Now, if they experience an allergic reaction to it major adjustment needs to be made. Any allergy clinic Manassas can verify and manifest the various ways on how to prevent such allergy from attacking and lingering further into someone’s life.