Divorce is not an easy decision, but if you have taken it then stick with it. Divorce will make you go through a range of emotions including confusion, anger, fear, sadness, hatred, anxiety and depression. During these times you will need to stay strong and search for the best family lawyers. When you are going through a divorce, there are a number of do’s and don’ts that you should follow that are for your own betterment.
Don’ts of Divorce
- Do not drag your children in your divorce using them as a weapon against your partner. They are little and they need love and support and should not be used to negotiate the divorce settlement. The divorce is between you and spouse, dragging them in between will cause emotional instability in their minds and they might blame themselves.
- Do not vent out your frustrations and feelings to your children. Their little minds cannot handle the stress. They are not a gateway for your frustrations.
- Do not restrict the child and spouse support expenses at all.
- Do not take your divorce issues to social media platforms. Remember these things can be used against you by your spouse even after the court hearing is finished.
- Don’t ask your children to choose sides, this could greatly affect their mental health and they hold each of you in importance and cannot choose one.
- Don’t put your spouse down in front of your children and don’t even disrespect or say bad words about them in your child’s presence. You do not want to destroy their future. You will be sending the wrong idea to your children and it will come back to you someday. Do not say anything.
- Don’t ask for more than the required expenses of you and your child. Greediness will cause you a lot more than what you bargained for.
- Don’t restrict your spouse from meeting the children, he or she has every right over the children.
Dos of Divorce
- Do search for an experienced divorce lawyer. An experienced lawyer will take matters into his own hands, educate you about the case and how to go about the legal process and what to do in court hearings and proceedings and will guide you in each and every way possible. This will also save you money as the lawyer will not waste time in learning what to do.
- Do learn about the legal process and the paperwork and gain knowledge about the child custody and division of financial assets. This way you will be prepared beforehand and know what to expect.
- Do go out with friends and mingle with family. Divorce happens to the best of people and it is not the end of the world.
- Do talk to a therapist or someone close to your or whom you can trust. You are going through a phase of emotional turmoil and it is not easy to cope with. You will need someone to vent out your frustrations and need a listening ear and someone who could guide you towards positivity. A therapist or a loved one could really come in handy at this point.
- Do show your children the love and respect they need right now. It will be difficult the most for them as their parents are separating. Do tell them that they are not the reason of your divorce. Many children go into depression and blame themselves when their parents’ divorce.
- Do follow all the court orders and pay child and spouse support expenses promptly even if you do not agree. Do come in time for pickup and drop of your children during the meeting days.
- Do try to settle small divorce issues out of court and negotiate on friendly terms. Taking each and every matter into court will make matters worse and cause a financial strain as well.
- Do be honest in court and to your lawyer about each and everything. All the truths will be exposed as the court has seen a lot and the judge will notice your lies right away and it could be bad for you.
It’s important to avoid fighting and solve issues for your peace of mind. And try to hire the best divorce lawyers Fairfax VA to handle your case efficiently.