Missing Your 2014 W-2 Form? What to Do

Employers have to have W-2s sent out to their employees no later than January 31. The W-2 form is what reports your annual wages and taxes withheld. Your employer provides you and the IRS with a copy. Keep in mind a paystub is not the same thing as a W-2.

When Your Employer Does Not Give You a W-2

The IRS recommends waiting for two weeks, February 14, for your W-2 to arrive from your employer. If you feel as though your employer did not give you a W-2, you should do the following things:

  1. Ask your employer if they sent our your W-2 and when
  2. Verify your address with your employer. Make sure you check to make sure that the spelling and abbreviations are correct.
  3. Ask your employer to send you another copy
  4. Ask your employer if your W-2 is available online. This way you can import your W-2 and avoid having to wait for it to arrive in the mail

TurboTaxes Helps You Import Your W-2

If you file your taxes with Turbo Tax, you will be pleased to know that they will be able to import your W-2 to reduce the chances of your federal tax return containing errors. Additionally, if there was a mistake in your W-2 and your employer has to send you another one you can easily edit your tax return with Turbo Tax to make sure the correct information is entered. To learn more visit, http://www.examiner.com/article/where-can-i-get-my-w2-form-online-for-2013-2014

NOTE: If your employer went out of business during the year, it is possible that your W-2 is not going to be sent out. In this case, you will have to contact the U.S. Postal Service to request the employers forwarding address. Once you obtain this information, you will then have to issue them a certified letter requesting your W-2.

What to Do If February 14 Comes and Goes and Your W-2 Has Not Arrived

  1. Call the IRS, 800-829-1040. When you call them they are going to request the following information:
    1. Your name, social, and address
    2. Your employers name, address, and telephone number
    3. Your date of employment
    4. The estimate amount of earning and federal income taxes withheld

This enables the IRS to contact your employer and tell them to send you your W-2s.

  1. Download Form 4506-T. This will allow you to get the W-2 transcripts that the IRS has received from your employer. The form can be requested by calling 800-829-1040.
  2. Download Form 4852 and return it by mail. This is a substitute for the W-2. It allows you to estimate your wages on your most current pay stub. If you file with Turbo Tax, they will guide you through the process of filling out the form. However, keep in mind if you file with Form 4862, you will have to file an amended return once your W-2 has been received if the amounts are different from your estimation.

Lost W-2s – What to Do

If you lose your W-2, all you have to do is ask your employer for a replacement. However, it is up to the discretion of your employer as to whether or not they want to charge you a fee to provide you with a new copy.

Filing with TurboTax

Remember, when you file your taxes with TurboTax, you don’t need to know which tax forms to fill out. We’ll ask you simple questions about your life and put your answers on all the appropriate tax forms. Here is a discount coupon for TurboTax which can help you save money when tax time arrives

About author

Related Articles

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enter Captcha Here : *

Reload Image

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.